Saturday, July 19, 2008

Pissed

I had all sorts of relevant things to say today. It was an important day for me - a beach day. Eating in a bikini with a big group of people - major accomplishment.

But now I don't even want to talk aout that. Because now I'm fucking pissed.

I am (was) part of an online community for vegans. And before all that shit storm starts, my veganism is NOT part of my ED. I became vegan after I had been eating normally for quite a while. It is an ethical choice. But back to the point: There are boards on this site for all aspects of life. Recently, someone started a thread in the health section about her ED. She was backsliding and looking for support. Most all the responses were simple "Get help" thoughts. I, and another person, added that we have been there, and understand her anxiety. I also told her to please get help. Then the moderator, the site's founder, wrote a scathing response about how much she hates threads about EDs, because it "invites" everyone to share their ED story, which only "encourages" them. Then she said that she was locking the site, banning the subject of EDs, and told us all to get professional help.

Granted, I understand that talking about it can be triggering. But at the same time, no one who has not experienced an ED can understand how isolating the disease is. Especially in recovery, it is so encouraging just to hear that you are not the only one feeling a certain way, and it particularly helps to know that others have felt it and overcome it. To make that, or really any topic like it, "banned" just seems like a bad idea. And for someone to make such a harsh judgement is just bitchy. We are not junkies or criminals. We are SICK.

So yes, to that person, I say this: Fuck you. Fuck your site. Fuck your books. I'm not contributing to your career anymore.

No comments: